1. Who are we?
The Signal Seekers R/C Club is a non-profit orginization built around the purpose of building, instructing, promoting, advancing, and ultimately flying model aircraft.
2. What is the AMA?
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.
The Academy provides leadership, organization, competition, communication, protection, representation, recognition, education, and scientific/technical development to modelers.
More info can be found here – AMA Website
3. I’m new to this. Where do I get started?
There are numerous sites online to help answer some questions you may have. Tower Hobbies has a great step by step page to help get anyone started, but the best way to get your questions answered is to get out to the field and talk with our members. They will be more than willing to help anyone along their path to becoming an active aeromodeller.
4. Why become a member?
Becoming a member of the Signal Seekers rewards you with:
- Access to our beautiful 400′ turf flying field and control line circle.
- Safety in a chartered AMA club
- Comradery and friendship with some of the best builders and pilots in Michigan
- Participation in monthly fun flys, club events, club picnic and a Banquet at the December meeting.
- Entrance to the inspiring EAA Chapter 113 hangar for club meetings
5. How do I become a member?
To join the Signal Seekers, start by filling out an application. You will need to make sure you have paid your AMA dues before applying. Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed and you will be contacted by our officers. Once accepted, you will have to come to the next scheduled club meeting to pay your dues and finalize your membership. Before flying alone at the field, all new members must be approved for soloing by an officer or instructor.
6. What are the annual membership dues?
Signal Seekers annual dues are as follows:
- Open membershio dues – $70.00
- Family membership dues – $35.00 (19 years or older living with an Open Member)
- Senior Youth member dues – $20.00 (15-18 years old)
- Junior Youth member dues – Free (14 years old and younger)
- Spousal member dues – $1.00
- Disabled member dues – $1.00
7. Are there any other fees?
- All members must join the AMA to be a part of our club. AMA membership application and info can be found here – AMA Website
- There is a one time initiation fee of $30.00 for any new members joining the club.
- Renewing members paying after the March meeting will receive a $20 late fee added to their yearly dues.
8. Are guest pilots welcome at the club?
Guest pilots are welcome to fly at our field three (3) times before they are expected to join the club. A current club member must be present when any guest is flying and that guest must provide proof of current AMA dues. Field rules (posted at the field) as well as AMA rules must be followed at all times. If the rules are violated, the guest will be given one warning before being asked to leave the field.
9. Where do we fly?
Our field is located in Westland, Michigan at the southeast corner of Michigan Avenue and Merriman roads. The entrance to the field is at 3821 South Henry Ruff Ave, one block east of Merriman.
10. When is the field open?
The field is open for use year round as long as the weather is cooperative. Due to noise restrictions in the area, gas and nitro planes can not be flown until 10 AM but electric aircraft are welcome at any time. Pilots are welcome to stay at the field until dark.
11. Are spectators welcome at the field?
Spectators are always welcome to come out to the field as long as our gates are open. There is plenty of room behind our safety fencing for spectators to view the action. Make sure to bring a chair and plenty of fluids.
12. Are there restrooms at the field?
Yes, our club provides a portable restroom at the field during the flying season usable to anyone, however there is no running water available.
13. Does your club offer any training?
Every Wednesday during the flying season, our club sets aside time for training (weather permitting). AMA Certified Flight Instructors are made available to any members looking for assistance. Discovery flights are also available to any inexperienced pilots looking to try out RC flight for the first time. Club instructors can be contacted by members for extra assistance outside of Wednesdays depending on the instructors personal schedule.
14. What is a discovery flight?
A discovery flight is a free, one time event where an inexperienced person interested in trying our hobby is given the chance to fly an actual RC trainer airplane. Our introductory flight instructors use club equipment and utilize a buddy box system to ensure a safe and unforgettable first RC flight experience. Discovery flights have no age restriction as long as the participant is able to pay attention to their instructor, follow directions and easily see the aircraft while in the air.
15. What is the buddy box training system?
The buddy box system is a training method where both the student and the instructor each hold a separate transmitter.
In conventional buddy box systems the transmitters are joined together by cable; the instructor holds the master transmitter while the student, holds the slave. With the flick of a switch the instructor can hand over or take away complete control from the student, without having to take the transmitter from your hands. This system allows for ultimate safety and overall most enjoyable experience for beginner RC pilots.
16. When are the club meetings?
Our club meetings are held on the fourth Wednesday of every month.
17. Where are club meetings held?
Club meetings are held at two locations.
- During the colder months (October thru March) the club meets inside the EAA Chapter 113 hangar at Plymouth-Mettetal Airport, 8550 Lilley Road, Canton, MI 48187.
- During the warmer months (April – September) meetings are held at the Signal Seekers field, weather permitting.
- Watch this website or our Facebook page for possible meeting cancellations or schedule modifications.
18. Are guests allowed at the club meetings?
Yes, guests are welcome and encouraged to attend our monthly club meetings. We look forward to meeting you!